Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Help- I've fallen into depression and I can't get up.


I caught the second-half of “The Ice Storm” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ice_Storm_(film)) the other night.  Not having seen it in awhile, I had forgotten what a good cast it had:
Obviously many went on to bigger and better things in their careers.  Watching the movie is a perfect way to become seriously depressed and verging on the suicidal.  It is unrelenting in its depiction of the hopelessness of the characters and their struggle to make sense of their lives.  Even the ending provided little hope for the survivors to create something positive in their lives.  All in all, I think it is an overly bleak view of these characters.  Not all films have to be uplifting, but this is so devoid of positives that it left me wanting Prozac. 

As an aside, Joan Allen looks terrible in her role.  She is tall and thin, but her wardrobe accentuates her angularity.  Her face is gaunt- maybe good for the character she is playing, but probably not good for her health.  Her hair appeared dry and thin.  Maybe she has anorexia.  Pass me another pill.  

No comments:

Post a Comment